Search This Blog

Friday, March 8, 2019

Little Gestures

When you are a grandparent, you try to teach your grandchildren as much as you can....take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself. Sometimes it may be as simple as showing them how to cut a piece of yarn in half. And some times the subject is deeper...such as handling the death of a loved one.

Prior to February 28, 2019, the closest deaths that any of my grandchildren lived through was the death of great grandparents and that of my sister, Carol. I know that they understood the profound loss that my family suffered with Carol's passing.. My grandson Gabriel, showed true compassion one day when he was playing on the swing in our backyard. 

He said to me, "Do you ever wish that you could be a kid again?" 

I thought about it and answered honestly, "No, because if I was a kid again, I would not have you guys in my life". 

He replied, with so much compassion and purity that it brought tears to my eyes, "But, then you would have your sister back". I will never forget the look on his face and the purity of the moment. 


On February 28, my granddaughters lost their beloved Bumpa Kaiser. His death, at the young age of 59, was devastating to his family and friends. So unexpected...how does one deal with expressing your sympathies of this loss to a child? 

The day after his death, my granddaughters came over to my house while their parents were with Grammee Kaiser, helping her with funeral arrangements. We made plans for my grandsons to come over after school so that they could play with and bring comfort to their cousins. I was a little worried about how the situation would play out....how they all would handle those first few minutes. I know it is hard for adults...much less little people.

Shortly after 3, I heard the front door open. Lainie and Lucy were sitting next to each other, playing on the computer. Ian, Gabe and Teddy filed in, looking timid and hesitant....unsure of what to do. Ian tip toed up behind the girls and patted Lucy gently on the head and then did the same to Lainie. I saw Lainie slowly turn her head to look up at Ian....and she gave him the sweetest smile. Those little gestures were all that needed. But, they said a lot.

I am grateful that God blessed me with these 5 little beings. They have taught me way more than I could ever teach them. Little gestures can mean a lot. 


No comments:

Post a Comment